Sunday, August 7, 2011

Sunday's Obituary - Henry Howard Johnston


Henry Howard Johnston, the son of Irvin and Christina (Nelson) Johnston, was my grandfather's grandfather.  The story that I was told:  Howard married Arminta Greenawalt who died the day their son, Seibert Ellwood Johnston, was born, 16 July 1877.  Howard moved to Streator, Illinois, remarried, and had two daughters, Nellie and Edna.

For one who likes a challenge, this fit the bill.  I found Howard's marriage certificate to his 2nd wife in El Paso, Woodford Co, Illinois.  This certificate gave me Howard's parents' names to further my research in this family line. 

I contacted the Streatorland Historical Society in Streator, Illinois and they furnished me Howard's obituary.




   "Henry Howard Johnson died at his home in Streator, Friday evening, after a lingering illness of about two years, aged 46 years.  The deceased was born at Mooresville Pa., from there he moved to El Paso, Woodford county, Illinois, about twenty-five years ago, where he lived about nine years, coming to Streator where he had resided.  He was twice married.  His widow and three children survive him."

I was pleased to see that his first wife and his son were acknowledged.  I don't know how much contact Seibert Ellwood had with his father.  More to discover . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment